RESEARCH & NEWS
- Here is a list of nutrients and naturally-occurring chemicals in moringa and their activities in the body from the USDA National Agricultural Library, Dr. Duke’s Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases – Moringa oleifera. It can be sorted by plant part – leaf, pod, flower, seed, etc. – 2017
- Zija International has compiled an easy-to-read list of over 90 verified moringa nutrients – 2014
- Moringa is a rich source of Calcium, but how available is it to the body and what about the high Oxalate content? Find out here at The International Moringa Germplasm Collection – Cool Moringa Research: Radek and Savage on calcium oxalate – 2013
- Improvement of Protein Energy Malnutrition by Nutritional Intervention with Moringa Oleifera among Anganwadi Children in Rural Area in Bangalore, India – 2014
- This study “surveyed protein, macro-, and micro-nutrients across 67 common garden samples of 12 Moringa taxa”: Leaf Protein and Mineral Concentrations across the “Miracle Tree” Genus Moringa – 2016
- Moringa: The herbal gold to combat malnutrition – 2011
- Sensory Evaluation of Locally-grown Fruit Purees and Inulin Fibre on Probiotic Yogurt in Mwanza, Tanzania and the Microbial Analysis of Probiotic Yogurt Fortified with Moringa oleifera – 2015
- Adoption of Moinga oleifera to combat under-nutrition viewed through the lens of the “diffusion of Innovations” theory – Melanie D. Thurber and Jed W. Fahey – 2009
- For more scientific studies on the nutritional value of moringa, go to the PUBMed (U.S. National Library of Medicines, National Institutes of Health) site.
Sustainable Home Water Filtration:
- Dr. Stephanie Velegol and her team at Penn State University have proven that a water filter made with “functionalized sand” or “f-sand” – a simple process of mixing moringa seed powder with sand – will remove 99.999% of the contaminants from dirty water and kill the bacteria. – 2017
- Pure water in the home can be a reality for developing-world families using a moringa and sand filter. Final Report: Using Sand and Moringa Oleifera Protein for a Sustainable Water Filter – 2014
- ECHO Technical Note – Moringa Water Treatment – 2005
- Assessment of the Use of Moringa oleifera Seeds for Removal of Manganese Ions from Aqueous Systems – 2013
- Check out the PUBMed (U.S. Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health) site for access to more studies on the on the treatment of dirty water using moringa.
- The Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center’s page on Moringa oleifera gives an excellent overview of moringa: its uses, side effects, herb-drug interactions, a summary of clinical studies with citations, and other information – 2017.
- Moringa oleifera: A review on nutritive importance and its medicinal application – this study speaks to the ability of moringa to increase milk production in nursing mothers, as well as its anti-diabetic and anti-cancer properties – 2016.
- Toxicity potentials of the nutraceutical Moringa oleifera at supra-supplementation levels, explores the question of how much moringa is safe to eat – 2012.
Diabetes and Moringa:
- Research is continuing on the possibilities of treating diabetes with moringa oleifera leaves. To access multiple studies, check out PUBMed (U.S. Library of Medicines, Institutes for Health).
Cancer Treatment Possibilities:
- Results of this study suggest that “Moringa oleifera leaf extract could potentially be an ideal anticancer therapeutic candidate specific to cancer cells.” Soluble Extract from Moringa oleifera Leaves with a New Anticancer Activity – 2014.
- Moringa oleifera as an Anti-Cancer Agent against Breast and Colorectal Cancer Cell Lines – 2015
- Results of this study “support the potential of soluble extracts of M. oleifera [Moringa oleifera} leaf as orally administered therapeutics for the treatment of human liver and lung cancers.” A potential oral anticancer drug candidate, Moringa oleifera leaf extract, induces the apoptosis of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells – 2015
- Go to the PUBMed (U.S. Library of Medicines, Institutes for Health) site for more information on the emerging potential of moringa in the treatment of cancer.
HIV Treatment Possibilities:
- A recent study states that, “the combinational therapy of Moringa oleifera leaf powder and ART [antiretroviral therapy] agents represents an attractive prospect for the development of new products for managing HIV-1 infections.” The potential of Moringa oleifera Lam. to manage HIV-1 infections and its positive pharmaco-synergy with antiretroviral therapies – 2016
Control of Tropical Diseases:
- Learn how Moringa oleifera leaf extract may be used to control mosquitoes carrying Dengue and Yellow Fever, dangerous tropical diseases for which two-fifths of the world’s population is at risk. Oviposition-Stimulant and Ovicidal Activities of Moringa oleifera Lectin on Aedes aegypti – 2012.
- Quality characteristics and stability of Moringa oleifera seed oil of Indian origin – 2011
- Natural anitoxidants of the Jaffna variety of moringa Oleifera seed oil of Indian origin as compared to other vegetable oils – 2013
- Characteriztion of Moringa oleifera Seed Oil Variety Congo-Brazzaville – 2009
- A total characterisation of Moringa oleifera Malawi seed oil – 1998
- What is the real miracle of moringa and who is it for? Find out in Dr. Mark E. Olson’s article entitled: Who is moringa for? on The International Moringa Germplasm Collection – 2014
- An overview of The Moringa Tree, ECHO Technical Notes, by Dr. Martin Price – published 1985, revised 2000, 2002, 2007.
- Industrial and Agricultural Potentials for Moringa – 2014
- Moringa leaf extract is shown to have a positive affect on the growth of arugula, a green leafy vegetable. The potential of Moringa oleifera extract as a biostimulant in enhancing the growth, biochemical and hormonal contents in rocket (Eruca vesicaria subsp sativa) plants [arugula] – 2013
- This study suggests that moringa has a negative impact on sorghum, rice, and maize. Influence of moringa oleifera leaf extracts on germination and early seedling development of major cereals – 2010.